Local Councillor, Ward 1
Nominations, on the prescribed form, may be filed at the Town of Halton Hills Clerks Office, 1 Halton Hills Drive, Halton Hills, from July 7, 2015, to August 6, 2015, during regular business hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), and on Nomination Day August 7, 2015, between the hours of 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. The term of elected office will be to November 30, 2018.
Under Section 29(1) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 – “A person may be nominated for an office only if, as of the day the person is nominated
a) he or she is qualified to hold that office under the Act that creates it; and
b) he or she is not ineligible under this or any other Act or otherwise prohibited by law to
be nominated for or to hold the office.”
Nomination and the required Declaration of Qualification forms will be available in the Clerks Office or on the Town website on or before July 7, 2015. The following must be provided at the time of submission:
- A completed nomination paper
- A declaration of qualification by the candidate
- The prescribed filing fee in cash, debit, certified cheque, or money order payable to the Town of Halton Hills, in the amount of $100
- Candidate identification (Driver’s Licence or other government issued photo identification)
For the Office of Local Councillor, Ward 1
Please note that modifications and amendments will be made to this site as information becomes available.
The 2015 Municipal By-Election will be held on Monday, September 21, 2015
For the 2015 By-Election the Town of Halton Hills will again be offering Vote Anywhere Advance Voting Locations within Ward 1, which are accessible and will have accessible voting capabilities
Advance Voting dates and Times TBD.
Key Dates (Tentative):
Tuesday, July 7 through Friday, August 7, 2015
Thursday, July 7, 2015 to Thursday, November 5, 2015
Friday, August 7, 2015
A candidate for municipal office must, upon nomination, be a qualified municipal elector and fulfill all of the following requirements:
- resides in the local municipality, or is the owner or tenant of land there or is the spouse of such owner or tenant;
- is a Canadian citizen;
- is at least 18 years old; and was 18 years of age during the regular municipal election
- is not legally prohibited from voting; and
- is not disqualified by any legislation from holding municipal office.
Please bring one piece of Identification with you to the Polls Showing Name and Qualifying Address
- Ontario’s driver’s licence
- Ontario Health Card (photo card)
- Ontario Photo Card
- Ontario motor vehicle permit (vehicle portion)
- Cancelled personalized cheque
- Mortgage, lease or rental agreement relating to property in Ontario
- Insurance policy or insurance statement
- Loan agreement or other financial agreement with a financial institution
- Document issued or certified by a court in Ontario
- Any other document from the government of Canada, Ontario or a municipality in Ontario or from an agency of such a government
- Any document from a Band Council in Ontario established under the Indian Act (Canada)
- Income tax assessment notice
- Child Tax Benefit Statement
- Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
- Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS)
- Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
- Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contributions
- Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Works
- Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Disability Support Program
- Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
- Property tax assessment
- Credit card statement, bank account statement or RRSP, RRIF, RHOSP or T5 statement
- CNIB Card or a card from another registered charitable organization that provides services to persons with disabilities
- Hospital card or record
- Document showing campus residence, issued by the office of the officials responsible for student residence at a post-secondary institution
- Document showing residence at a long-term care home under the Long-Ter Care Homes Act, 2007, issued by the Administrator of the Home
- Utility bill for hydro, water, gas, telephone or cable T or a bill from a public utilities commission
- Cheque stub, T4 statement or pay receipt issued by an employer
- Transcript or report card from a post-secondary school
I’m unable to make it to the Polls to Vote. What can I do?
You can vote through Proxy!!
Any qualified voter for the upcoming Town of Halton Hills Ward 1 By-Election may appoint another person who is also a qualified voter to vote on their behalf by completing a proxy certificate. The certificate can be picked up at the Civic Centre, Customer Service Desk, 1 Halton Hills Drive or a Proxy Form can be mailed to you by calling 905-873-2601 ext. 2330 or ext. 2333.
Proxy Forms are available through to Voting Day – September 21, 2015
All proxies MUST be certified at the Town Clerk’s Office, 1 Halton Hills Drive
Town Clerk’s Office Proxy Certification Hours:
Monday to Friday - 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Election Day: Monday, September 21, 2015 - 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The Elector appointed as proxy must present both copies of the certificate in person, at the Town Clerk’s office during the above times.
An elector appointed as a proxy may not act as proxy for more than one person, except when the elector voting by proxy is the parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother, sister or spouse of the elector appointed as the proxy.
A person appointed as proxy may act for one other person or the specified family members, but not both and is also entitled to vote in their own right.
Town Councillor – Ward 1
|Candidate Name||Address||Contact||Date Filed|
|Robert Joseph Bedard||114 Church St. E.
|July 7, 2015|
|Geoff Maltby||14067 Churchill Rd., N.
|July 7, 2015|
|Terry Jackson||12 Wright Ave
|July 7, 2015|
|Sue Walker||133 Poplar Ave
|July 13, 2015|
|Norm Paget||23 Spruce Blvd
|July 17, 2015|
|Mike Albano||98 Longfield Road
|July 29, 2015|
|Waldo Paquete||158 Mountainview Road, South
|August 7, 2015|
Any elector who is entitled to vote in an election and believes that a candidate has contravened a provision of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 (the “Act”) relating to election campaign finances can apply for a compliance audit of a candidate’s financial statement.
An application for a compliance audit on a candidate’s financial statement from the 2015 Municipal By-Election must be filed by February 18, 2016.
Municipal Election Compliance Audit Committee
In accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 (the “Act”), the Town of Halton Hills has established a Joint Compliance Audit Committee, in partnership with Halton Region, the City of Burlington, the Town of Oakville and the Town of Milton.
The purpose of this Committee is to review and respond to compliance audit applications from eligible electors who believe, on reasonable grounds, that a candidate has contravened the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 relating to election campaign finances.
The Committee is composed of five members, with membership drawn from the following groups:
- Accounting and Audit
- Other individuals with knowledge of the campaign financing provisions of the Act
All candidates are required to file a financial statement no later than 2:00 p.m., Friday, November 27, 2015.
Office of Area Councillor – Ward 1
All candidates, including those not elected, those who withdraw their nomination or those whose nomination is rejected by the Town Clerk (if any), must disclose and report their contributions and expenses, using the prescribed form, no later than
November 20, 2015.
Candidates should consult the 2014 Candidates’ Guide for Ontario Municipal and School Board Elections, published by the Province of Ontario, as well as the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 for detailed information relating to financial responsibilities, campaign contributions, campaign expenses, and financial reporting.
Legislated campaign periods and filing dates
A candidate’s campaign period starts on the date that nomination is filed and ends on Thursday, November 5, 2015, or if the nomination is withdrawn, on the date of withdrawal.
All candidates for office (even those that have withdrawn their nomination) are required to file financial statements with the Town Clerk by 2 p.m. on November 20, 2015.
For candidates who are in a deficit and wish to extend their campaign, a notice of extension (legislated Form 6) and an interim financial statement must be submitted by
2 p.m. on November 20, 2015.
Financial Filing Form
A person who proposes to be a candidate may not accept contributions for election purposes, or incur expenses, until that person has filed a nomination paper with the Town Clerk.
Additional information may be obtained by contacting the Clerks Office at 905-873-2601 ext. 2330 or 2333.
Town of Halton Hills
1 Halton Hills Drive
Halton Hills ON L7G 5G2
Email: Suzanne Jones
Phone: 905-873-2601 ext. 2331