Youth Programs & Services
Check out these programs and services available in Halton Hills:
- Youth Programs
- Mayor’s Youth Action Committee (MYAC)
- Youth Week
- Youth Needs Study
- Youth Taxi Scrip
- Community Youth Engagement
- Youth Friendly Community
Drop-in Programming (Ages 12+)
Check out our FREE youth drop-ins! Relax with friends, cook, swim, play video games, pool, ping pong & more!
- Monday: 3:30 – 7:30 pm at The Acton Hub (open gym 6:30-7:30, free swim at 7:30) McKenzie-Smith Bennett School, 69 Acton Blvd., Acton
- Friday: 3:30pm – 7:30 pm at Gellert Community Centre (free swim at 7:30) 10241 Eighth Line, R. R. #2, Georgetown
- NEW summer youth program calendar coming soon!
For regular updates, follow us on Twitter @_HHyouth
Youth passes are available for swimming and skating at Town of Halton Hills facilities.
Youth Dances are held once a month on Fridays at the Gellert Community Centre from 7:30-10:00 pm. The dance is for youth in grades 6, 7 & 8, and are always chaperoned by staff. Tickets available for purchase at the Gellert customer service desk a few weeks in advance of the dance date.
Prices: $9.00 Regular Dance, $12.50 Much Music Dance
- December 2, 2016 (Much Music). Tickets on sale November 11 at 6:00 pm.
- January 6, 2017. Tickets on sale December 16 at 6:00 pm.
- February 3, 2017. Tickets on sale January 13 at 6:00 pm.
- March 3, 2017 (Much Music). Tickets on sale February 10 at 6:00 pm.
- April 7, 2017. Tickets on sale March 17 at 6:00 pm.
- May 5, 2017. Tickets on sale April 13 at 6:00 pm.
- June 2, 2017 (Much Music). Tickets on sale May 12 at 6:00 pm.
Aquatic Advance Lifesaving
Looking to start a career in aquatics or to improve your swimming skills? Browse the aquatics section of our Community Activity & Service Guide to find advanced lifesaving courses available to you in Halton Hills.
P.L.A.Y: Promoting Leadership Amongst Youth (Ages 13-16)
Build skills in leadership, civic engagement, advocacy, and more. The week long program includes interactive activities, special guests and presentations. P.L.A.Y helps develop confidence to become more involved in schools, volunteerism, employment and the community as a whole. As a fun grand finale, P.L.A.Y participants will plan their own trip at the end of the week. Look for more information about the P.L.A.Y program in the Community Activity & Service Guide – Youth section.
Next PLAY program: Summer 2017: July 24-28 Program Code: 123353 or August 14-18 Program Code: 123354 from 9:00am-4:00pm at Gellert Community Centre. Cost is $204 for the week. Register online (located under Programs > Summer Camps > PLAY).
Looking to get your 40 volunteer hours? Want to make a difference in your community and the lives of fellow neighbours and friends? Consider volunteering with the Town of Halton Hills! Build leadership skills, give back to your community and meet new people. Recreation & Parks offers a variety of volunteer opportunities for youth. Visit our volunteer webpage to learn more about available opportunities and the application process.
Check out current job postings available today! Summer employment information is available as of December.
Mayor’s Youth Action Committee (MYAC)
This voluntary group is open to youth ages 13-21 that live in Halton Hills. MYAC meets once a month from September- June. Contact the Recreation Coordinator- Youth programs for more information on the application process. Interested youth can read the terms of reference here.
Objectives of MYAC:
- Identify and advocate for issues that matter to youth in Halton Hills
- Recognize and celebrate youth
- Promote positive and meaningful activities for youth in partnership with the community
- Communicate and spread awareness in a youth friendly way
- Create a positive image of youth in our community by participating actively in community events and activities in Halton Hills
Every year from May 1-7, we recognize and celebrate the youth in our community for all of their dedication and hard work throughout the year. Watch for a Youth Week calendar, full of events to celebrate youth all week long.
Youth Week: Youth Recognition Awards & Art Competition
Celebrate youth through our annual Youth Recognition Awards & Art Competition. Nominate a youth today for their contributions to the community or for their artistic talents.
Youth Award Nomination Form
Youth Art Competition Submission Form
Youth Needs Study
The Youth Needs Study is a comprehensive report that evaluates and makes recommendations for improving the quality of life for youth in Halton Hills. Completed in December 2011, the study spans years – from 2012-2022. Council and staff continue to support this study by placing an emphasis on youth engagement, access and support. Check out the following links related to the YNS:
- Official Halton Hills Youth Needs Study
- Youth Engagement Policy & Procedures
- Youth Engagement Checklist
Youth Taxi Scrip
The Youth Taxi Scrip Program is a service that allows registered youth riders to receive a discounted fare with participating taxi companies for travel within Halton Hills. Visit the Youth Taxi Scrip webpage to register and learn more.
ADULTS: Wondering how you can become more youth friendly?
Community groups and organizations can benefit from the much-needed ideas, solutions and advice that our local youth are able to provide. Consider starting up a youth advisory committee, or becoming involved in MYAC. For smaller or short-term goals, consider a strategic workshop, focus group or social media interactions. The benefit is twofold. Organizations have a better understanding of youth needs and interests, and youth are empowered to make decisions and have a direct impact in their community.
- Read the YNS
Okay maybe not word for word, it’s massive…but it’s worth it. By reading and following recommendations from the Youth Needs Study, you’ll better understand how to incorporate youth friendly practices into your work.
- Read the Youth Engagement Checklist
Checklists are good. They take a ton of information and pack it all neatly in a tiny little package so you can understand it. The Youth Engagement Checkilst
Youth Friendly Community - Platinum
The Town of Halton Hills is a Platinum Youth Friendly Community through the Play Works Youth Friendly Community designation. That means we strive to ensure youth in Halton Hills have access to a diversity of play, recreation, volunteering and leadership development. Learn more on the Playworks website.