School Crossing Guards
To escort pedestrian across a roadway safely at designated school crossing locations in accordance with the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and of Town of Halton Hills guidelines.
How to Identify a Crossing Guard
For everyone's safety please read the following important tips for identifying a crossing guard.
- Crossing guards are readily identifiable in their bright orange vests and reflective armbands and holding a stop sign in an upright position when crossing pedestrians.
- As a motorist, you MUST STOP before reaching a crosswalk when the stop sign is in an upright position and the crossing guard and pedestrians are in the crosswalk.
- Motorists SHOULD NOT proceed through the crosswalk until the pedestrians and the crossing guard has cleared the roadway.
- Be courteous and attentive and obey the crossing guard at all school crossings.
- To report any concerns involving a school crossing guard please contact the Public Works Administrator at 905-873-2601 Ext. 2610.