School Crossing Guards
New Rules for School Crossings
Starting January 1, 2016, drivers and cyclists must stop and yield the whole roadway at school crossings where there is a crossing guard displaying a school crossing stop sign. For more information, visit the Ministry of Transportation website.
The Town of Halton Hills Crossing Guard program is the responsibility of the Towns’ Planning and Infrastructure division through the Public Works section. Crossing guards help to escort pedestrians across a roadway safely at designated school crossing locations in accordance with the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and through the Town of Halton Hills guidelines.
The program assists children from the Halton Catholic District School Board, the Halton District School Board and the Conseil scolaire de district catholique Centre-Sud at twenty-three locations in Halton Hills.
How to Identify a Crossing Guard
For everyone's safety please read the following important tips for identifying a crossing guard.
- Crossing guards are readily identifiable in their bright orange vests and reflective armbands and holding a stop sign in an upright position when crossing pedestrians.
- As a motorist, you MUST STOP before reaching a crosswalk when the stop sign is in an upright position and the crossing guard and pedestrians are in the crosswalk.
- Motorists SHOULD NOT proceed through the crosswalk until the pedestrians and the crossing guard has cleared the roadway completely.
- Be courteous and attentive and obey the crossing guard at all school crossings.
- To report any concerns involving a school crossing guard please contact the Public Works Coordinator at 905-873-2601 Ext. 2610.
Become a School Crossing Guard
Do you enjoy being around children? Are you physically fit? Are you quick to make decisions in dangerous situations? If you have these skills and are interested in becoming a Town of Halton Hills crossing guard, apply today!
School Crossing Guards
Georgetown and Acton Locations
Permanent and Standby Opportunities Available
Come join our team! We are looking for a candidate who shares our corporate values of Honesty, Excellence, Team, Fun, Creativity and Respect. These values are second nature for the successful candidate and are demonstrated in their work and interactions with colleagues and the community.
- Must obey all established traffic safety regulations to ensure pedestrians (going to and from school) are assisted in crossing roadways at designated locations
- To wear safety equipment (e.g. safety vest and reflective armbands) supplied by the Corporation of the Town of Halton Hills at all times while on duty
- To report and document any incidents or accidents involving traffic and/or pedestrians to the Supervisor and appropriate Police or School Officials
- A good working knowledge of the Highway Traffic Act and Occupational Health and Safety Act as it relates to the job, to be aware and comply with the Conditions of Employment and Instructions for Halton Hills School Crossing Guards, as provided by the Town
- Community minded citizen of good character who is fit/alert, dependable and understands kids
- Successful applicant must obtain an acceptable Security Clearance Request certificate from Halton Police Services at applicant's expense
- Strong public relations abilities with good communication skills, including verbal and listening with the ability to follow directions and procedures
- Must be alert, able to maintain high degree of mental concentration, with visual and hearing ability to recognize traffic at a safe distance (approx.300 feet)
- Ability to walk pedestrians safely across busy intersections, reacting safely and quickly to traffic
- Must be able to display a school crossing stop sign (weight up to 2 pounds) in an upright position so that it is visible to vehicular traffic approaching from each direction, and extend the other arm out parallel for one minute on a frequent basis
- Physically fit, with the ability to perform all physical requirements of the activities
- Must be able to perform duties outside in all diverse weather conditions, twice daily
- Medical certificate may be required upon request
- Supply of a personal vehicle may be required
The pay rate for this part-time position is $17.28 per hour/shift. Crossing guards work a maximum of three hours per day during the school year.
For further information, visit: haltonhills.ca/schools/crossingGuards.php
Methods of Application:
Email your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred method of application)
Applications through email are preferred; however, you can direct your application to Human Resources and drop it off at any Town facility or mail your application to: 1 Halton Hills Drive, Halton Hills, ON, L7G 5G2.
Applications are accepted year-round for Crossing Guard positions.
We thank all those who apply, but advise that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. The Town of Halton Hills is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. If contacted for an interview, please advise the Human Resources staff of any measures you feel you need to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 (S.O. 2001, c.25) and will be used to select a candidate. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Manager of Human Resources.