What is it?
- The counting of vehicular traffic on a particular road at specific times.
- Often done by an electronic traffic counter, which usually consists of a cable that runs along the road which attaches to a box on the boulevard.
- It can classify the types of vehicles using the road (cars, trucks, motorcycles, bikes).
- It can measure the speed of traffic on that specific road.
Why conduct traffic counts?
- To identify which routes are most used.
- To improve specific roads.
- To provide alternative routes if there is an excessive amount of traffic.
- To review speed limits.
- To classify roads based on Ontario Minimum Maintenance Standards.
- To plan and install effective signals, signs, and intersections.
Looking to purchase a property?
Prior to purchasing any property (residential or commercial) it is advised to look at traffic counts of a particular road.
This will help you identify volumes of traffic around your future property.