Building Permit Information
A building permit provides legal authorization to commence the construction of a building project in accordance with approved drawings and specifications.
Building permits are issued by Building Services and are reviewed for compliance with the Ontario Building Code and the other applicable provincial and municipal regulations. Building permits are also required to guarantee compliance with Zoning By-laws and other Applicable Law (Building Code Act; Section 220.127.116.11).
By obtaining a permit you can also utilize the professional expertise of the Building Services staff. Our Inspectors and Plans Examiners are certified and skilled with extensive training in Building Code regulations. They serve as excellent sources of knowledge and can provide suggestions to assist in resolutions to construction issues, often before they occur; consequently, saving you project time and money.
The Building Code Act requires that a building permit be obtained for the construction of any new building having a building area of more than 10m2 (108 square feet). It is illegal to construct or demolish without first obtaining a permit.
Building Permits are required for:
- Addition, alteration or repair of an existing building or its plumbing system.
- Placing a structure on your property (i.e. mobile home).
- Installation of a temporary building.
- Installation of new plumbing in a building or part thereof.
- Installation or modification to site services (water or sewage lines).
- Installation of a sign.
- Raising a dwelling to provide a full basement.
- Accessory building construction.
- Detached or attached garages and carports.
- Installation of heating, ventilation or air conditioning. 1
- Installation of a solid fuel burning appliance, i.e. Wood burn stove or fireplace.
- Installation of a new furnace utilizing a new fuel source.
- Installation or repair of an on-site sewage system. 2
- Completion of a roughed-in bathroom or washroom.
- Addition/removal of a structural wall in a dwelling.
- Construction of a deck. 3
- Changing the use of a building.
- Demolition of a building
Building Permits Not Required for construction /installation of:
- Structures not greater than 10m2 (108 square feet).
- Air conditioning units for houses.
- Kitchen or bathroom cupboards (building permit required if plumbing is necessary).
- Retaining walls less than 1m in height.
- Replacement furnaces if the new and old furnaces have same output and use the same fuel.
- Replacing roof shingles on a residential dwelling.
- Painting decorating or general maintenance.
For all of the above projects you are still required to comply with the requirements of the Town of Halton Hills Zoning By-law.
Please see Transportation and Public Works User Fees for all applicable fees.
1 A building permit is required for the installation for an air conditioning unit for all buildings except for a house.
2 A building permit is required if you are installing or repairing an on-site sewage system, with a design capacity of 10,000 litres per day or less. For more information, please refer to “Conditions forming part of a building permit for an on-site sewage system”.
Contact the office at 905-873-2601 Ext. 2960 or drop by the Transportation and Public Works counter.
3 Decks: please refer to the Decks Guide