- A bicycle is a vehicle under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.
- Cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities to obey all traffic laws as other road users.
- Cyclists can and will be charged for disobeying traffic laws.
- See Cycling Related Fines for a list of laws and fines provided by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation.
Please note the following Provincial Laws:
- Any cyclist under the age of 18 MUST wear a helmet.
- A bicycle must have a bell or horn in good working order.
- A bicycle must have at least one brake system on the rear wheel.
- A bicycle must have a white or amber light on the front and a red light or a reflector on the rear from one half hour before sunset to one half hour after sunrise or during inclement weather conditions.
Tips for Cyclists:
- Obey all traffic rules, signs and signals. (Including Stop signs)
- Use the bike lane the same way a driver uses a lane of traffic.
- Use caution, be aware and respectful of other road users at all times.
- Use hand signals when turning, changing lanes and stopping.
- Stay on the right of the lane; pass on the left side of the lane.
- Safely scan the road behind you.
- See Guide to Safe Cycling provided by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation for more information..
- Ride single file and, where possible, move to the right to allow motorists to pass.
Tips for Drivers:
- Treat cyclists like any other vehicle.
- When passing a cyclist, drivers are required to maintain a distance of at least 1m, as nearly as practical, between the vehicle and bicycle.
- Use caution, signal, and check for cyclists when crossing a bike lane or turning.
- Scan the road prior to opening doors
For more information please see:
Creating walkable, bikeable and transit-supportive communities in Halton
Questions regarding the purpose, efficiency, and use of Bike Lanes should be directed to the Traffic Coordinator: 905-873-2601 Ext. 2215.
Questions regarding maintenance and repair of Bike Lanes should be directed to Public works: 905-873-2601 Ext. 2603.
Questions regarding Bike lane Laws and Parking should be directed to Corporate Services: 905-873-2601 Ext. 2903.